The 2nd-generation Apple Watch SE (2022) launched in September 2022 is the entry-level and most affordable smartwatch from Apple. It was introduced alongside the mid-range Apple Watch Series 8 and the top-tier and ruggedized Apple Watch Ultra.
Pros of Apple Watch SE (2022): Notable Features and Advantages
This budget smartwatch is a notable step up from the previous-generation Watch SE. It sports the same dual-core Apple S8 chip found in the Series 8 and Ultra. The overall performance is smooth and snappy. The availability of fitness and communication apps in the watchOS ecosystem makes this device a true wearable and a perfect companion for the iPhone. It is one of the best affordable smartwatches on the market.
Below are the major features of this smartwatch:
• Activity Tracking: Users can try custom workouts and get fitness metrics such as Heart Rate Zones, Stride Length, Ground Contact Time, and Vertical Oscillation through the Workouts app. This smartwatch can also be used alongside the Fitness+ app that features 11 workout types and a library of over 3000 workouts.
• Sleep Tracking: It also tracks sleep to get its user a better idea of the quality of sleep he or she is getting. It specifically records how much time a user spends in each sleep stage such as REM, Core, and Deep Sleep stages.
• Connectivity Features: The Apple Watch SE can be used for making and answering calls, sending and receiving messages, checking notifications, and opening several social media apps. The cellular version with international roaming allows it to be used as a standalone communication device even without an iPhone.
• Water Resistant: Apple calls this smartwatch swim-proof. It has a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010. This makes it usable for shallow-water activities such as swimming in a pool or ocean.
• Notable Application: It can be used with Apple Pay for sending and receiving money or for payment transactions, as a remote for the iPhone camera, as a device finder for other Apple devices, and as a navigator via the pre-installed Maps app. It can also be used to control smart home accessories via the Home app.
• Affordable Price Tag: The biggest advantage of the Apple Watch Se is its affordability. It retails for USD 249.00 Note that the Series 8 is priced at USD 399.00 for the base model while the Ultra is priced at USD 799.00.
Cons of Apple Watch SE (2022): Drawbacks and Major Issues
The price tag of this smartwatch makes it appealing to budget-conscious consumers who want a decent smartwatch that they can pair with their iPhones and other Apple products. Its features for tracking physical activities and even sleep make it an ideal health and fitness wearable device. However, compared with the Series 8 and Ultra, as well as with other smartwatches such as the Galaxy Watch 4 and Galaxy Watch 5 from Samsung, it has notable drawbacks.
Below are the noted limitations of this smartwatch:
• Limited Fitness Tracking: One of the cons of the Apple Watch SE is its limited sensors and features for health and fitness tracking. It does not have a skin temperature sensor, as well as sensors for monitoring blood oxygen and electrocardiogram.
• Average OLED: The OLED display used in this smartwatch fails in comparison with the Super Retina displays used in Series 8 and Ultra. It has the same 1000 nits peak brightness as the Series 8 but it is not an Always-On OLED screen. The screen remains vivid and energy efficient because it is based on the same OLED tech.
• Not Dust-Resistant: Another notable difference between this smartwatch and its siblings is that it is not rated for dust resistance. This makes it somehow susceptible to hardware damage due to long-term exposure to dust.
• Poor Battery Life: It has the shortest battery life than other Apple Watches. This device struggles to last until midnight on a single charge under average usage. Above-average usage can drain the battery faster. It also does not offer fast charging. However, to conserve battery, it has a Low Power mode.
• Availability of Options: Most new features can also be found on older Apple Watches such as the Series 5 to Series 7. Other smartwatches from other brands such as the Galaxy Watch 4 and Galaxy Watch 5 have better features and have almost similar price tags. The Galaxy Watch 5, for example, retails for around USD 279.00.
• Dependent on iPhone: Apple Watch SE other Apple Watches work best when paired with an iPhone. Apple devices are created to work together. An Android smartphone user would not be able to maximize the full capabilities of an Apple Watch.