The introduction of ChatGPT in November 2022 marked another milestone in artificial intelligence and the specific generative AI application. American AI research lab OpenAI made this service available to the public and it has since been welcomed with enthusiasm and criticisms by different groups of people.
A Look Into the Pros of ChatGPT
ChatGPT is based on the GPT-3 model similar to DALL-E. It is specifically a chatbot that uses a large language model alongside other AI tech such as deep learning and natural language processing to have human-like conversations with users.
Below are the specific advantages of this chatbot:
• Human-Like Conversation: The service is a chatbot. However, unlike commercial virtual assistants such as Siri from Apple, Bixby from Samsung, and Alexa from Amazon, it produces human-like texts and mimics human conversations. It would be difficult to determine whether the texts were produced by an AI or a human.
• Breadth of Knowledge: One of the advantages of ChatGPT is its extensive knowledge about different subjects or topics that allow it to mimic human conversations. This comes from the GPT-3 model which is considered the largest non-sparse language model developed using the collective information of the internet.
• Extensive Applications: This chatbot can be applied as a question-and-answer platform. However, more than just an AI-powered chatter, it can also solve mathematical equations, write and debug codes, compose lyrics for music, produce works of fiction, edit and proofread, and summarize or explain bodies of texts.
• Continuous Learning: Its performance or the accuracy of its response improves over time because it is open for public testing. Furthermore, as the language model expands, it continues to learn more information and becomes. It fundamentally becomes more adept with further use and as OpenAI improves its large language model.
The aforementioned advantages of ChatGPT make it a groundbreaking tool and service with numerous real-world applications. Its ability to generate human-like responses makes it an alternative to search engines while also making it a personal virtual assistant.
A Look Into the Cons of Chat GPT
Of course, despite being a groundbreaking innovation, concerns over its use and potential abuse have emerged. Some has also criticized the chatbot for its limitations and issues while other have compared it to other generative AI applications.
Below are the specific disadvantages of this chatbot:
• Limited Knowledge: One of the biggest disadvantages of ChatGPT is that its knowledge base is not updated to the most recent events, unlike a search engine. It also sometimes produces inaccurate responses. Some responses are even ambiguous and confusing while others read too generic and lack depth or context.
• Abuse and Misuse: This chatbot has also opened the potential for abuse and misuse. Several academicians have noted that the service has been used to produce academic papers and even research works that have been submitted to journals. Others have warned that this chatbot can be used for criminal activities transpiring online.
• Obsolescence of Jobs: Observers have raised concerns over the possibility that certain jobs will become obsolete. Examples include content writers, virtual support assistants, and computer programmers or coders, among others. The chatbot and other similar services offer cost-effective solutions for certain business requirements.
• Copyright Infringement: The chatbot produces its responses based on data that come from other content creators. Google has warned that publishers that use generative AI to produce and publish content would be penalized through lower search engine ranking and possible suspension of advertising revenues.
The disadvantages of ChatGPT collectively represent both its limitations and criticisms. The service is groundbreaking and even disruptive but it is not perfect. Its use can even have ethical, legal, and negative business implications.