The fourth-generation Galaxy Z smartphones were introduced in August 2022 during the Galaxy Unpacked event. These were the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 and the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4. The new “Fold” smartphone from Samsung packs new hardware capabilities and better software features for an overall improved user experience. This quick review lists the major selling points and issues or pros and cons of the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4.
Pros of Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4: Notable Features and Reasons Why You Should Buy
The main selling point of the newest generation of the Galaxy Z Fold remains the same. It is a smartphone that folds open into a small tablet. However, when compared with the Z Fold 3, the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 packs the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 which is based on the 4 nm process node.
It still has four cameras. There are three sensors on the rear camera system while there is a single camera sensor on the front. What makes this new device better is that its main camera on the rear has a 50MP sensor compared with the 12MP sensor of the previous generation.
Both the Z Fold 4 and Z Fold 3 look similar from afar. However, upon closer look, the newest Z Fold device from Samsung has a better build quality. It also has newer software features that maximize the use cases of a smartphone-tablet convertible. The improved battery capacity is a welcome addition.
The following are the specific pros and selling points of this device:
• The Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 outclasses the Snapdragon 888 used in the previous generations of the Z Fold and Z Flip, as well as the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 and Exynos 2200 used in the flagship Galaxy S22 line.
• Processing capabilities are about 10 to 50 percent better than the Z Fold 3 and the S22 series. This device fundamentally has raw processing capabilities ideal for running resource-demanding apps and high-performance mobile gaming.
• Another one of the pros of the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 is the fact that it folds open to become a mini tablet. The unfolded screen is good for watching videos and playing games, as well as for productivity applications such as notetaking, switching between apps, writing documents, and reading documents, among others.
• There is a new taskbar that levels up the multitasking capabilities of this device. Apps can run side-by-side. Dragging and dropping contents between app windows is a breeze. Samsung maximizes the potential of the Android 12L.
• Note that this device has two screen displays based on OLED tech: the cover display and the main inner display. The cover display is a 6.2-inch Dynamic AMOLED screen with a dynamic refresh rate that can go as high as 120Hz and a 904×2316 resolution. It is protected with Corning Gorilla Glass Victus+.
• The main inner display is a 7.6-inch Foldable Dynamic AMOLED with a dynamic refresh rate that can go as high as 120Hz and an 1812×2167 resolution. Peak brightness is at 1200 nits. The large screen makes this device a true tablet.
• Another selling point of the Galaxy Z Fold 4 is that it supports the S Pen. This makes it a serious competitor to the S22 Ultra and even Android tablets and the iPad Mini. The S Pen is useful for note-taking and even quick sketches.
• This device is big both when folded and unfolded. However, considering the benefits of owning a smartphone-tablet hybrid, it is only 10 percent heavier than the iPhone 14 Pro Max and is even lighter than the iPad Mini 2021.
Cons of Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4: Key Issues and Reasons Why You Should Not Buy
Foldable smartphones have gone a long way. The entire Z Fold line has also witnessed improvements in terms of design and durability. However, considering the dominance of traditional smartphones, these devices, including the Z Fold 4, are not for everyone.
Then there is also the price. It is one of the biggest drawbacks of the Galaxy Z Fold 4. The base model with 256GB of storage retails for USD 1800.00 while the 512GB variant is priced at USD 1920 and the 1TB variant is priced at USD 2160. This is an expensive device. However, considering that it is a smartphone-tablet hybrid, the price can be justified.
It is also worth mentioning that this device has notable durability and overall longevity issue that can turn off potential users. It is less resilient than traditional smartphones and even traditional tablets. The price might not be as justified.
The following are the specific cons and key issues of this device:
• The main screen is based on plastic OLED or PMOLED. There is no Gorilla Glass protection but Samsung equipped it with a screen protector. However, after constant use, replacing this protector can be difficult.
• An IPX8 rating gives this device water resistance submerged in water up to 1.5 meters or about 5 feet for 30 minutes. There is no dust resistance. Dust and other small particles can accumulate between the hinges or seep inside the device.
• Noted that OLED has notable disadvantages. It has a short lifespan compared with IPS LCD due to screen burn-ins. Blue organic diodes burn off faster. Prolonged display of static images such as app icons or using the device in a particular orientation for an extended period increases the noticeability of these burn-ins.
• Some apps are not tailor-fitted for a wider screen. This has been the problem with tablets based on the Android operating system. The Z Fold 4 struggles with switching apps between the cover display and the main inner display.
• Another disadvantage of the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 is the crease. It is still noticeable under certain angles. This can be ignored. It can also grow on most users. But the fact remains that it does not look as solid as a traditional tablet screen.
• The high price tag of this device is also equivalent to mid-range to high-end Windows laptops. Even its 512GB and 1TB models are more expensive than the base models of the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air.
• Potential users might be better off purchasing flagship smartphones from the Samsung Galaxy line or the iPhone line. These devices can have similar or even better processing capabilities. It is also worth mentioning that these flagship smartphones have better camera systems and are more durable than foldable smartphones.
• It is also worth mentioning that the S Pen is not included in the entire package. It is sold separately. The device only supports the S Pen Fold Edition and the S Pen Pro. The former retails for USD 49.99 while the latter retails for UD 39.99.