MacKeeper is a bundled utility software for macOS that includes anti-malware, file encryption, data recovery, backup, and data erasure features. Originally developed by Zeobit and was later sold to Kromtech Alliance before being acquired by Clairo Tech Limited, it has received negative reviews and criticisms both from tech reviewers and users.
The software has gone a long way. Its shortcomings from the past have been addressed and it is now considered as one of the most recognizable and reliable utility tool for Mac computers due to its expansive applications and numerous features.
The Pros: Features of MacKeeper
Because it is a utility software, the primary marketed purpose of MacKeeper is to optimize the performance of macOS and Mac computers, particularly through system, storage, and file management features.
The following are the specific features and functionalities:
• Anti-Malware Scanning: Based on the scanning engine of Avira for scanning and removing different types of malware such as viruses and adware.
• File/Folder Encryption: Filesystem-level encryption tool for encrypting files or folders with designated passwords.
• Data Management: Includes data recovery, cleanup of junk and duplicate files, memory cleaner, and uninstaller of widgets, plugins, and extensions.
• Privacy Tools: Includes a set of tools for blocking ads and web trackers, online identity protection, encrypted and anonymous online browsing, and virtual private networking or VPN.
• Device Tracker: Find and control a lost or stolen Mac computer by pairing it to another device such as a smartphone or tablet computer.
The Cons: Criticisms of MacKeeper
Despite the apparent well-rounded application of this software, MacKeeper suffered from criticisms in the past that has affected its current reputation. For example, dated reviews rom online publishers such as Business Insider and iMore advised users not to download and install the application because it does not work as advertised.
In several user-reported instances in the past, installing the application also installed adware disguised as browser plugins and cookies. It was also criticized for being difficult to uninstall.
But the developers behind this multi-purpose utility software has made several improvements in the recent years and have succeeded in transforming it as an adequate solution for keeping Mac computers secured and optimized. However, there are still some pressing issues
Below are the major criticisms and drawbacks:
• The marketing strategy and promotional techniques used by its developers that centered on online advertising have been described as too aggressive and invasive.
• Because of the unfavorable perception toward the online advertising practices of its developers, most users perceive the application either as malware or scam.
• The current major drawback or disadvantage of MacKeeper is that the free version has limited functionalities while the paid version has been considered too expensive.
• Note that rival utility applications are less expensive. Furthermore, the features found in its premium or paid version can be found in the free version of some of its competitors.
FURTHER READINGS AND REFERENCES