It has been several years since Samsung introduced its Galaxy Tab S6 series of Android tablet computers. The company has since launched newer iterations to include the Galaxy Tab S7 and the Galaxy Tab S8 lines. However, even in 2022, amidst devices such as the Galaxy Tab S8 and Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra, as well as the entry-level Galaxy Tab A8, Samsung re-launched a refreshed version of its S6: the Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (2022).
Pros of Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (2022 Edition)
The 2022 edition of the Galaxy Tab S6 Lite comes with the more powerful Qualcomm Snapdragon 720G which is a substantial improvement from the Exynos 9611 chipset of the 2020 editions. It is also a large-format tablet with a premium-looking built quality made from an aluminum chassis and with a decent screen-to-body ratio.
Below are the specific selling points of this device:
• Mainstream Performance: This tablet can handle average apps and tasks. It has a better processor than the previous Galaxy Tab S6 Lite and even the relatively recent Galaxy Tab A8. This device is ideal for browsing the web, streaming music and videos, reading, taking down notes, and even light gaming.
• Excellent Battery Life: It is also powered by a 7040 mAh lithium-ion battery based on the newer lithium-polymer technology. The low-powered capabilities of its chipset can last its user between 12 to 18 hours of moderate use.
• S Pen and Samsung DeX: Another advantage of Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (2022) is that comes with an S Pen out-of-the-box. This input accessory is useful for taking down notes and doing sketches. The device can also run Samsung DeX which turns its standard Android user interface into a full-blown desktop user interface.
• Decent-Quality Screen Display: It features a large 10.4-inch screen based on TFT LCD with a 1200×2000 resolution and around 224 ppi density. This device does not have the best display out there but it is decent for its price.
• Long-Term Software Updates: The device runs Android 12 and One UI 4.0. It is upgradable to Android 13 via an over-the-air update. Samsung has promised that the Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (2022) will receive updates of up to four generations or within the next three to four years since its official launch.
• Ports and Connectivity: It is available in both dual-band Wi-Fi and LTE variants. Samsung also kept the microSD slot and a 3.5 mm headphone jack while also sporting the more common USB Type-C port. It also supports Bluetooth 5.0.
Cons of Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (2022 Edition)
This device retails for around USD 370.00 and USD 450.00. The price varies depending on stores and if there are sales promotions available. However, considering this price tag on top of its features and capabilities, it might be relatively expensive. Note that there are other capable and even better devices that are cheaper or slightly more expensive.
Below are the specific drawbacks of this device:
• Limited Memory and Storage: Two of the notable disadvantages of Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (2022) are its 64GB of storage and 4GB of memory. The space is not enough to store even the standard list of communication and productivity apps on top of other files and data. The low memory makes it an average-performing tablet.
• No Fast Charging Capability: Remember that this device has a 7040 mAh battery. However, despite this large capacity, it only charges at 15W. It will take a considerable amount of time for it to reach full charge.
• Drawbacks of the LCD Screen: The screen might be large but it is not as good as screens based on OLED display technology or the miniLED displays used in top-tier tablets and monitors. It is also quite reflective because it has no anti-reflective coating. The display also has no native protection from minute scratches.
• No External Display Support: Samsung DeX works best when used with an external display monitor. However, because it only has USB 2.0, Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (2022) does not support video output.
• Availability of Other Options: The 9th-gen iPad is still available for around USD 329.00 and USD 479.00 while the newer 10th-gen iPad has a starting price of USD 449.00. There are also other entry-level and mid-range Android tablets to choose from such as the Galaxy Tab A8 and Xiaomi Mi Pad 5 and Mi Pad 6.