The new iPad Pro introduced on 18 March 2020 or the iPad Pro 2020 is the fourth generation of the Pro variant of tablet computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple, Inc. Replacing the 2008 version, this device features some hardware upgrades and new use-case propositions.
Reasons Why You Should Buy: The Pros of the iPad Pro 2020
1. Upgrading from an Older Non-Pro iPad or First-Time Tablet Owner
One of the reasons for buying the iPad Pro 2020 is when upgrading from an entry-level and older generation iPad or when getting hold of a tablet computer for the first time. The device is undeniably the most powerful iPad from Apple to date.
The device runs the highly intuitive iPadOS operating system and comes with an A12Z Bionic processor with an 8-core GPU and 6GB LPDDRX4X RAM. The chipset allows 4K editing, video rendering, and augmented reality capabilities. It is essentially a capable mobile device both for productivity and entertainment or content consumption.
2. Now Relatively Inexpensive than the Previous iPad Pro 2018
It also has a lower starting price. The base model of the iPad Pro 2018 retailed at USD 799. But this had a 64B of solid-state storage. The 256GB variant had a price tag of USD 899. Meanwhile, the base 128GB iPad Pro 2020 has a price tag of USD 799.
Of course, by all means, the device is still expensive when compared to other tablet devices in the market, including the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 or the Huawei MatePad Pro. However, the highly-praised software-hardware integration of Apple, longer support for the iPadOS, and future-proof hardware specs provide more value for money.
3. Better Productivity from Apps and Mouse and Trackpad Support
A notable advantage of iPadOS from Android-based OS and, by extension, of the iPad Pro 2020 from Android tablets is the app ecosystem. From office productivity apps to creativity apps, the capable hardware of the device makes it an effective productivity tool.
The newly-introduced support for a trackpad and mouse enhances further the productivity capability of this device. More than just a touch-based mobile computing device, it is now moving toward the laptop territory. Remember that this device also supports keyboards from Apple and third-party accessory manufacturers.
4. Dual Rear-Facing Cameras and a Lidar Sensor for Augment Reality
Using cameras on a tablet remains a divisive topic. Of course, having these shooters come handy for document-scanning and taking occasional snaps when a phone is not available. The iPad Pro 2020 now comes with a new 10MP ultrawide camera and a 12MP wide camera.
A key new feature of this device is the LiDAR or light detection and ranging scanner. Not only it improves the depth-sensing capabilities of the existing cameras, but it also provides the device with an enhanced augmented reality capability. What this means is better support for interior design apps, games, and virtual measurements, among others.
5. All of the Advantages and Applications of the iPad Pro Product Line
Apple launched the iPad Pro in 2015 as a tablet device for professionals, including creative professionals such as video editors, graphic designers, music producers, and other content creators. The support for the Apple Pencil makes it an ideal not just for notetaking but also for digital painting and graphic design.
Because it runs iPadOS, it includes multitasking features such as Split View and Slide Over, new gesture inputs, the Sidecar app for screen mirroring, new onscreen keyboard designs, and of course, access to high-quality apps from the App Store.
Reasons Why You Should Not Buy: The Cons of the iPad Pro 2020
There is a strong case for not buying the iPad Pro 2020. Aside from the fact that it is expensive than other similarly capable devices such as the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 or the Huawei MatePad Pro, it is not for everyone.
Below are the cons or disadvantages and limitations of iPad Pro 2020:
• A logical reason not to buy the iPad Pro 2020 is if someone is simply moving from the iPad Pro 2018. When compared, the newer device has made no significant hardware upgrades. The previous generation remains equally capable in terms of processing capabilities.
• The LiDAR feature might be enticing. However, it remains gimmicky unless Apple and software developers will introduce apps that will exploit in full this sensor. There is virtually no practical and day-to-day use for a LiDAR scanner on a tablet.
• There are still some other iPad alternatives depending on the user. The 2019 iPad Air remains a perfect choice between the entry-level 2019 iPad and the Pro variants because of its Pro-like features. The standard 2019 iPad is still a capable device for average users.
• Note that the design is the same as the previous generation. It seems more of an extended edition of the iPad Pro 2018 than a new Pro generation. Some might find the in-plane switching LCD discouraging, given the popularity of OLED displays.
• It is still not a laptop replacement. Despite the added support for extended inputs and the capability of the iPadOS, users remain better off using their capable laptops such as Mac computers and the macOS operating system for accomplishing heavy-duty productivity tasks.
• Android manufacturers have a better solution for multitasking. Samsung has been offering split-screen and resizable and multiple apps. The Samsung DeX feature in top-tier Samsung phones and tablets allows a full desktop experience.
• Expensive accessories such as the Apple Pencil and the floating Magic Keyboard remain critical drawbacks of the iPad Pro 2020. It is worth mentioning that Samsung and Huawei regularly offer promos for free official keyboard and stylus accessories.